Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Pine Grove Farmer's Market and Happy Memories

Playing for the Farmer's Market in Pine Grove for opening day was a sweet and special day for me.  An anniversary of sorts.  It was just two years ago that John asked me to learn to sing songs for this very same day.  I still don't know why I said yes to that, but I did.  I remember being pretty embarrassed that day.  I learned a bunch of lyrics to songs and I didn't have any cheat sheets.  I also had to learn harmonies and melodies.  Some songs I had heard before, some were completely new to me.  I had to purchase a microphone and a stand.  I couldn't decide what to wear (whatever makes me look the skinniest of course!).  The whole day was a blur.  I survived.  I kept showing up each week for the entire summer and it got easier.  I ended up joining John in some gigs in different capacities, singing a little here and there.  Later that fall, Steve and I joined John and Michael for a "real" gig.  Then a couple more before the end of the year.  When the New Year came, we were coming to all of their gigs.  Just a little over a year ago, I remember being at one gig that was about 3 hours long and I sang one song, and that was it.  As we did more and more gigs, I learned more and was put in to the show more.  When the next Farmer's Market came up, the four of us and Sarah played once a month in addition to our weekend gigs.  I always enjoyed the relaxed, informal feeling that we had at those gigs.  And, these were the things that were going through my mind last week when we returned with our entire band and played in the park.  

It's two years later and I'm not afraid all the time anymore.  My "new" comfort zone is the band.  Everyone in our band is supportive of each other, personally and musically.  This is my second "season" of playing gigs and I am having the time of my life.  I've met so many terrific people and I've been blessed to play at some pretty great places.  Sometimes we are playing a song and we are all having fun and the weather is beautiful and the people are having fun....those are the perfect moments.  Playing in the park for the Farmer's Market was certainly one of them.

We sent out our email list and invited our band friends to come out to the park and enjoy the afternoon with us.  We were surprised and delighted to see the folks arrive and stay, that makes everything so worthwhile.  


Mary and Dennis, such great friends!  And, wonderful dancers...
Diane and her husband, we played two times at her house for a private party.  In fact, it was at her house that John, Michael, Steve and myself played our first gig with just the four of us!  





These friends saw us the week before in Folsom and brought their husbands spend the afternoon.




Ginger and her friends came out.  They are also involved in the Music in the Park series, which we will be playing for in just a few weeks in this same park!  And, later in the summer we will be playing for the Camp Out for Cancer that Ginger and her husband are part of organizing.  It was wonderful to have them there.


And of course, there is the FOOD!  What is better than fresh veggies, grown locally??  MMmmmm.   Delicious!





Michael made his guitar "talk" to me.  I think what his guitar was saying wasn't nice and sweet, but it WAS fun....




I'd like to see 2 guitars arguing...that would be great!


What is it about a sweet song that makes me want to sing with my eyes closed?  


We are busy this summer and that's a good thing.  However, it makes it too difficult to play the Farmer's Market every week or even every month, so this was it for this year.  When we first booked it, it was supposed to by John and me alone.  I truly hoped that the whole band would come and enjoy the day together and they did without hesitation.  

We didn't wear our black signature clothing, we just wore whatever we wanted to.  Truth be told, I'm happy in the black.  It makes for a lot less stress deciding what to wear!

I will miss the Farmer's Market this summer. But, I am truly looking forward to some pretty great places that we are playing at and I hope to see you there!
If you are not already receiving our show list in your email, please let me know or sign up on the front page of our website:  www.crystalimageband.com

No comments:

Post a Comment